Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Not going to lie

It's been a really tough week around here, for a lot of reasons. My sister is really going through some struggles and is not making some decisions she needs to make. The stress of that has resonated through the family and I don't always handle stress that well so Justin has felt the brunt of that in my frankly, wildly flucuating emotions and illogical rants. I feel like today we may be starting to regroup and come up with a plan. I do better with plans.

And tomorrow my littlest one, who really is tiny, is going to have tubes in her ears again. Good in many many ways except for the anesthesia thing which even the thought of makes me sick to my stomach. I had a bad reaction to anesthesia when I was in labor with her and we both almost died. Plus, the last time the doctor made some kind of error that caused her ear to bleed randomly for over a year... one of the reasons she actually has to get tubes again as that ear is now completely plugged with dried blood. Sorry, should probably have given a "grossness" warning right there. The doctor kind of poo-poo'd my concerns about this happening again so I am putting my faith in him but so help me, if she has to go through that again, this time I will not be so nice with him.

And finally, I had to deal with a complete whack job of another female attorney at work today. I can't believe I said that out loud. But seriously, she was as nuts as it is possible for someone to be and still be out walking around. I have never spoken to her before, we are not in adversarial positions, this is a simple probate transaction in which her client is ancillarily involved and still... she started by screaming at me that she has left numerous unreturned phone messages and will send me her phone bill to prove this (for the record, we have no record of any phone messages) and then proceeded to mutter at me about "fraud" and "documentation" and when I asked her to provide me with some documentation that her client has a legal interest in the matter, she hung up on me. This might be surprising to people who think attorneys are like the ones you see on tv, but really, we do not act this way. We may act tough in the courtroom, but the truth is we are mainly colleagues who socialize at professional functions, take continuing education classes together, eat lunch together and have relationships that transcend the immediate cases in front of us. Courtesy and respect are the norm and screaming and hanging up are strictly verboten.

So, I was quite shaken by the whole experience, mostly for the sheer oddness factor of it. Justin made me laugh for quite a bit when he suggested I send her an application for the new game show "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?"

So assuming all goes well in the morning, I am going to celebrate it all being over and hit the scrapbook store to check out the new CHA goodies that came in over the last week. I did pick up some new Luxe stuff at a little store in West Virginia over the weekend but I haven't had a chance to play with it. Hopefully, Grace will sleep and I will get to scrap.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Oh dear, prayers for your little one during her surgery, and for you as you wait.