Monday, March 3, 2008

It was very, very green

When I last did the grocery shopping, we were still planning to cook through Nigella and I bought accordingly. Last night's menu included the last of the recipes: broccoli soup. Sounds harmless enough. The recipe includes a goodly amount of Stilton cheese. We're fans of the blue cheese around here so I was optimistic.


Let me interrupt this story to tell you another one. A few weeks ago, Anthony Bourdain's travel channel show had him in Singapore happily munching away on various Singaporian cuisine. One of the foods that Anthony loved was made from these gigantic crabs that feed on the carcasses of the dead human bodies that are thrown into the river. You read that correctly. Anthony called it something like Spicy Crab or Chili Crab as he munched on it happily at a mall foodcourt. Even more delightful. Crab of the dead at the mall food court. My husband said it sounded delicious. And he would like to eat that. My husband would like to eat crab of the dead at the Singaporian mall food court - the man will eat just about anything.


Until it comes to Nigella's broccoli soup. He took one bite. Made a funny face. This caused Charlie great anxiety because Charlie doesn't like broccoli at all but he was making a valiant effort to eat this soup. Justin ate some bread and shot me a look across the table that caused me concern for my continued health. He took another bite. And then he quietly pushed the bowl away and said "please do not make another one of Nigella's recipes. Ever. Please." And then he at Amy's organic cheddar bunny crackers for dinner.


Personally, Gracie and I didn't think it was that bad.


Speaking of Gracie, she woke up yesterday with a bad cough that worried me but that I hoped was asthma. She woke this morning with a high fever and now I'm even more worried because while my kids are prone to the high fevers, they usually show up much later in the day. So we're going to spend the day watching videos and cuddling on the couch. And perhaps a little bit of time researching new cookbooks.

2 comments:

Vivian Masket said...

So sorry Gracie is sick, but that Nigella story is too funny! Guess you're really done with cooking from her book now!

*Paula* said...

you've been tagged - check my blog