Sunday, June 3, 2007

At the end of the week




So very many unrelated tangents running through my mind tonight.
Yesterday could have been a bad day. Lots of stuff to do that I don't really enjoy - Charlie's belt testing (it goes on and on and on), soccer in blistering heat and humidity. But we put a good face on it and ended the day by going to the pool, eating dinner in the yard and going for ice cream. It's all about how you frame it.

And today was the day we celebrated my birthday. I wanted to go to the baseball game and Justin requested tickets from his boss. We thought we'd get the ones along the first base line; instead they gave us the Home Plate Club. Now please understand, I am always grateful for the incredible perks of his job and the wonderful things his company allows us to enjoy. This was no exception but it did give us pause, more than once.

Justin grew up poor. As poor as it gets. And I grew up as a child of someone who owns their own business. Some good times. Lots of tough times. Both of our experiences at the ballpark are largely framed by "buck" night (aka Pittsburgh Pirates aka the Buccaneers aka everything's a "buck"). The tickets were $1, the hotdogs were $1 and the coke was $1. Our kids have not had this experience, thanks to Justin's company. It's very important to Justin that they never have the kinds of worries he did; on the other hand, we are both adamant we will not raise spoiled brats who expect things handed to them on a silver platter.

Eh, this whole entry feels so awkward for me. But still, it's what's in my head and it will be there until I let it out. We worried alot about this today before the game. Is this what they will expect? What will they think the next time we go to a game and they don't get to eat whatever they want? When we sit on the bleachers? Their last few times at the ballpark have not been typical. We need not have worried. They mostly care about who wins the pierogie race. And which song gets picked to be played in the 5th inning. Charlie's mind is always on the food, no matter who is paying. They are our kids. Raised with our values. Even if sometimes they get a glimpse of a different world.

More unrelated thoughts. I have night terrors. I've had them for about 7 years, usually a couple times a week. Who knows why. Pretty regular pattern; I scream, sit up and Justin calms me down. But last night, for some reason, I vaulted out of bed and was running out of the room until Justin stopped me. I hope I'm not about to become a sleep walker.

And we also stopped by the Three Rivers Arts Festival after the game. This is just an incredible event. Overwhelming for me in a way. As always, I appreciate many mediums but drift toward the photographers. And today I discovered a new one - based out of Georgia but focusing on China for the last 8 years. I have never, never seen anything like it. I'm not even that interested in China but these photos spoke to my soul. This part of my entry is kind of worthless without photos, eh? So I couldn't swing it today but I will. By the end of the summer. I'm finally going to get some art up on these walls.

No comments: