Friday, November 2, 2007

Creative blocks and life changes

So if you've read my blog for any length of time, you will know that back around February or March I began lamenting that I had a creative block. It went on and on. Eventually, I started scrapbooking again but it has felt like pulling teeth for months. It just hasn't been fun, it's been something I've forced myself to do because a) I feel guilty when I'm not scrapbooking the memories as we make them b) I feel guilty because I certainly didn't stop buying stuff and c) because I scrapbook and that's part of who I am.

But in the last couple weeks, something has changed. I don't know how to explain it other than it feels like my brain opened up. I have ideas. I have stories to tell. I can visualize the page in my head. The process is fun. For the first time in months and months, I am staying up late because I just have to get this idea translated onto a page. I am letting the laundry and the dishes wait while I create. I won't take this burst of creativity for granted because I know too that it will not last.

And in the midst of all this creative energy, life has shifted subtly. Justin is really happy in his new position. I mean really and truly happy in a way I haven't seen for a long, long time. He is working crazy hours and working even when he gets home and before he leaves. And yet, we are laughing more and playing more and enjoying our time together more. I can't help but see the connection.

In the meantime, the rest of life carries on as normal. We deal with the dramas of schoolyard disagreements, temper tantrums, not enough sleep and loading the dishwasher 800,000 times a day. Or maybe it only seems that way.

1 comment:

Sara said...

As someone just coming out of a creative slump I totally understand what you mean. I agree that life around you affects a person & I'm so glad everything is back to normal & you're creating again! Can't wait to see your LO's!