Saturday, January 19, 2008

This is an update.

I've been scolded by several people that I need to update both blogs. But I have a good excuse! I am still struggling with this new computer and the layout I posted above is an example of just one of the problems I'm having. I am posting it in the hopes that someone, somewhere can help me figure it out because after a week spent trying to get help from the customer service divisions of numerous technology companies, I am ready to pull out my hair.


I've used the photomerge/panorama program with my HP scanner for several years. It works beautifully. What it does not do is work with Microsoft Vista and as "Raymond" from HP so kindly informed me, I am SOL with that program. That leaves photoshop as the only option for stitching layouts and while I understand the basics (open the files, hit the photomerge button) I am completely lost after that. Why is there that weird shadow effect in the middle that looks like it is folded in half?


Another issue is that the new screen distorts everything and makes it look wide and squished. It makes it very hard to evaluate photos/layouts/pretty much anything and have any idea how it really looks. The best option would be to switch screens between the 2 computers but the new screen doesn't seem to work on the old computer.

Other minor (ha!) issues are that Microsoft "Easy Transfer" created to transfer files and programs between computers doesn't work on this system at all and Microsoft, Dell and the USB cable people all say it's someone else's fault. And for some reason, Vista isn't recognizing some of my jpeg files and they changed Windows Explorer so much that I can't even begin to figure out why it can't read the files that are on my photo cd's.


So, as you can imagine, I have been having fits this week (and yes, there has been some crying and some cursing) as I try to figure out ways to get around all of these issues and get a system that works nominally as well as the old system. Here is another PSA: Stay far, far away from Microsoft Vista.

Is that enough whining for the day? It feels like it! I'll be back with a normal update soon!

1 comment:

Vivian Masket said...

I have no advice, only sympathy. However, I can tell you that that is one fun layout! Love that giant arrow, and what a cool concept for both a kids' project and a layout!