Sunday, August 12, 2007

Couch to 5K

I guess you can't read tha journaling. It recaps my morning adventures - while I was running, I was passed by an elderly couple out for a morning stroll. Charlie reminded me that because they were old, they'd had more practice.


I did the first week. And I'm going to survive the second week. But next week's regimen requires me to run for 3 minutes straight and I'm just completely doubtful that is ever going to happen. Some poor person will come across my body blocking the path and wonder what in the world I was ever thinking that I could run that much all at once.


The other interesting thing about this endeavor (well, humor me that it's interesting at least) is that I've changed where I go to run to a little trail through the woods that winds along a stream. It's a beautiful spot and except for one ridiculous hill in the middle, it's flat. But it's in the woods by a stream which means there are bugs. Weird bugs. Big bugs. Bugs that want to bite me. I may eventually have a svelte physique (that is possible, right?) but I am also going to covered with large welts that give the appearance of a communicable disease. No pain, no gain?


Also sharing my morning run today was a beautiful man. Beautiful. He looked just like Matt Damon as he loped along, passing me once, turning around passing me again and then turning around and passing me for a third time. Yes, I am that slow. There was once a time when I would have been humiliated by that. When I would have cared what I looked like, huffing along, face purple with effort, arms bleeding from smacking at the bugs, hair all over the place, my dumpy self running along to the persistent beat of Eminem's Slim Shady... but not anymore. I have no pride left. I got passed by elderly people taking a walk.

1 comment:

marci lambert said...

dude! I am running three minutes at a pop and it IS happening. it will for you too. although the heat is kinda killing me.