Friday, August 24, 2007

I'm a wimp

and I'll be the first to admit it. We went school shopping this morning - into the city - and I live in a place with a lot of bridges - the famous three rivers and all of that. Curiously, every single major bridge we drove over today was being inspected. Interesting. They must be worried about the pigeon poop problem.


And then we drove home past a gas station and we noticed that one of the pumps was on fire. And lots of police cars and firetrucks heading in that direction. More interesting. Apparently, they either shut off the power in our town to keep it from exploding or something happened with the power to make it catch fire. No power. Means no air conditioning. My car thermometer reads 97 degrees. We went to the pool for awhile but the whole town seemed to have the same idea. After I had been smashed in the face by the third pre-teen boy doing a cannonball, I conceded defeat. Headed home. Still no power. Still no air conditioning. So I came to my mom's. And here I will stay until my house is cool again.


I note that this will be the second time in under a month I will lose the entire contents of my refrigerator to an extended power outage. Not that I'm bitter or anything. But we did just do major shopping when we got home from vacation. Not that I'm bitter or anything.


And last but not least, I did something to my back during my morning run. Which probably accounts for my snideness. I didn't realize it until I reached for something in the car this afternoon and honestly believed for 10 seconds that I was having a heart attack. Then I realized it was my back, not my heart. But at least my mom's air conditioning is working just fine.

No comments: