Friday, September 7, 2007

All golden

I drive on a beautiful meandering country road on the way to and from Grace's pre-school. The kind of road with old barns and horse pastures, lined with fruit trees and goldenrod. Today when we were coming home, it suddenly became fall. It didn't matter that it's 90 degrees outside today or that the calendar says a few more weeks of summer. The trees had a golden hue and the apple leaves were dancing off the trees in the wind. How do you describe that subtle change in color - from the vibrant green of spring to the deep green of summer to the green with a hint of gold that covers the fields?


I got myself out of bed early enough this morning to get my run in before Justin left. (Ha, the 3 minutes is a breeze! Wasn't even winded. Five minutes is next. Errr...) Which meant that I finally got to go to the library to look at art books. Only... Grace goes to school in the city where I went to high school. In my memory, the library is a huge monolith of a building, filled to the brim with books of every imaginable topic. But I haven't been to this library since I was 12. And it was a disaster. If they have a book about art or craft that was published after 1950, I didn't see it. They did not have a single book about graphic design. How can this be? Our local library, for a much smaller population, is fantastic! What happened? So, I hied myself over to Barnes and Noble and played there for the morning. I wish that I had all day, every day, just to play and create and make beautiful things. Instead, I steal moments to admire the work of the men and women that do.


And now, I will steal some moments to go read the next book in the Outlander series. Send help.

No comments: