Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Ch ch ch changes

I guess that's kind of a redundancy in life, eh? Nothing ever stays the same.


I forgot to blog last week that I told my dad I will be looking for a new job next year. I didn't plan ahead to tell him but we were just discussing some finance stuff and it seemed like the appropriate time. He took it very well (he is my dad after all); he has been wistful ever since, reminding me several times that I am good at it, but overall, I think he understands.


Days like today, he has to be understanding. I crashed my car when I was taking Grace to daycare. There are some really good things about growing up in a small town. The first person on the scene was a dear friend from highschool who used to be a paramedic (almost went to medical school to be a trauma surgeon but decided he didn't like surgery that much) who now works at the car dealership in front of which I crashed. Next was one of the local police officers with whom I deal quite frequently at work. It makes a big difference to have some friendly faces around at a time like that. They called the ambulance to have Grace checked out (she's fine) and then sent me down to my office to make the necessary phone calls while the officer finished all of his reports. The man I hit did not have a driver's license so I imagine he is really unhappy right now (he was fine too by the way). Then the officer came to work to drop everything off and check on Grace again. Sometimes small towns are nice. On the other hand, within 15 minutes, everyone everywhere knew I had crashed so I guess that's the pay-off. You can't ever hide in a small town either. And of course, I got no work done today at all. My dad was already having a horrible day so I guess that was just the icing on the cake.


So if the preliminary estimate on the damage is correct, I will be shopping for a new car next week. We usually agonize over these decisions for a long time - in fact, I've shopped for a new car twice over the last couple years and just put it off because I hate making these decisions. I guess I need to hurry up and make up my mind. No wonder my stomach hurts.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Yikes! I'm glad everyone was ok!