Friday, May 18, 2007

Necessity is the mother of invention

So I had this idea that the kids and I would have strawberry shortcake for dinner. Just because we could. And that we would make it from scratch, ice cream included. Gracie and I trekked to the grocery store this morning and gathered our ingredients and when we picked Charlie up from school, we couldn't wait to get started.

We measured and mixed, the kids taking turns, and then I assembled the ice cream maker and carefully layered in the salt and ice. We turned it on and... nothing. Just nothing. It makes a sad little whirring sound like it wants to turn but the motor seems to be shot.

What to do? I spent a small fortune on the ice cream ingredients, the kids were totally psyched up for some homemade goodness. I gathered some ziplock bags and poured ice cream mixture into them. And then loaded them all up in a big bag and filled it with ice and salt and we took turns tossing it back and forth for 15 minutes.

I have no idea if this will work. The bags were definitely hardening up when I put them in the freezer but I just don't know if the process of being stirred around for 15 minutes is vital to the end product. I guess we will soon find out!

I'm friendless tonight after all. So I decided to keep the kids home and we'll have a slumber party. My mom will pick them up for breakfast in the morning and then I will head off for my surgery. It can't be worse than the procedure they did in the office on Wednesday on my leg. I've been wobbling around like there is a bar between my legs for 2 days. I can't emphasize enough how cool this looks.

No comments: