Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Tis the eve of the most wonderful day of the year


(some obligatory Children's Museum photos)

or at least it seems that way right about now. Today was Grace's last day of school until the end of August. No more trudging the 30 minutes to her school and the 30 minutes back again. And then waiting a bit and doing it all again to go back and pick her up. Every.single.day. In the interim, I will ask myself again WHY we had to send our kids to THAT preschool and then by the end of the summer, I will resign myself to one last year of making that twice daily, seemingly never-ending trip.




So how (you might wonder) do I intend to celebrate this happiest of days? By driving for hours of course! I am meeting a friend and we are going scrapbook shopping and out for lunch. Sweet freedom.




A couple other things on my mind today. Going back to the dermatologist sooner than expected because we discovered another "suspicious" mole last night. Now I know the secret to look for them in hidden places and this one is quite hidden. Had a good laugh trying to explain to the nurse where it was. I've decided that part of the anatomy does not really have a name. I'm not freaking out this time because I'm just not letting my mind go there again.




And the other one is employment related. Back when I got pregnant with Charlie, I was working in my dream job for CASA - the Court Appointed Special Advocates program. I supervised volunteers who advocated for abused and neglected kids in dependency court. But I had to leave for a variety of reasons, chief among them the horrible commute and the lack of flexibility I felt I would need as a mom. Best thing about my current job. I can't imagine there is a more flexible job in the world.



Fast forward to March of this year when CASA opened an office in my county. I spent the morning with the new executive director and there is definitely an opportunity there. I'm really torn right now between pursuing a job I know I'd love and giving up the great situation I've got going on right now. I've got some time to decide, she's not needing to do anything until September and even then, she'll have another opening next year if all goes according to plan. In the meantime, I've agreed to help train the first class through the summer and she and I are going to go visit my old office in 2 weeks. Maybe after all of that I'll have a better idea what I want to do.

No comments: