Thursday, May 31, 2007

It's my birthday and I'm feeling reflective

I had a very light hearted post planned. And then I got this e-mail from Iraq and it changed my mood and outlook for the day. I don't think Memi will mind if I share the first paragraph of what she wrote.

"Memorial Day passed with a silent whisper. We watched on CNN as President Bush laid a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. We saw crosses on a beach in California dubbed Arlington West. We thought long and hard about what it means to be here, what it means to be there, what it means to sacrifice and what it means to have lost. But we didn’t slow down. Not externally. We couldn’t. Here, the things others memorialize are still happening. Here we have a responsibility to the present in honor of the past. And the present moves quickly.

So I'm going to hold off on the lighthearted for a little bit. Maybe I'll be back later.

No comments: